Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary of the 86 Machingun ban.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anniversary of the 86 Machingun ban.

I can't beleive no one has posted anything about today being the anniversary of the 86 machinegun ban. What would things be like if it had never passed. What kind of full autos would have been designed? Look what has happened in the suppressor market because of the civilian market.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

I'm of mixed emotions on this issue. That crook, Rangel, shoved it down our throats knowing how difficult it would be to undo the damage. And he was right. I prefer not to honor such disgrace.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

It's not going to be so much as a lobbyist as it would be a combination of lobbyist and lawyer(s). It would need to be an offensive mounted in a manner similar to Heller and then combined with convincing a Congress that is mostly clueless that machine guns are even legal! I would not even contemplate starting this mess without $6 million(ish) in the bank.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

$6 million is not very much money to pay for layers and buy the right polititions and judges.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

I do appreciate the sentiment. With that said, we have trouble getting folks to just renew their membership!

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    I do appreciate the sentiment. With that said, we have trouble getting folks to just renew their membership!
    I resemble that remark

Please articulate why it would be in the interests of machine gun manufacturers to do this and how they would realize a profit from such activity. And I am going to exclude any manufacturers based in Europe since the EU pretty much bans civilian ownership of these weapons and force them to play along (eg.: HK, etc.). And exactly how much of a war chest has the Facebook page generated?

Again, lot's of individuals would like to see Hughes repealed or overturned. Those same individuals generally look to others to fund the process.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

And, unfortunately, there are also a LOT of folks who probably wouldn't want to see Hughes overturned because it would crash the MG market, costing some folks hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In all honesty, I think that sentiment is really misplaced. The truly collectible guns will always be so. A "new" Tommy gun will always be far less valuable than a real one. A real 1917 Browning more valuable than a new production replica. The folks with the serious jack invested in their guns have it in stuff that really is valuable. Whether or not Hughes exists is almost a non sequitur for them.

Will there be items that lose value? Sure. HK sears and other similar conversion devices are likely to take the biggest hit. But guess what? Real collectors have not based their collections on these.

The market for collectibles will not crash. The broad market of "commodity" type stuff will take an upfront hit, but will stabilize with the dramatic increase in overall market swell. There are about 186,000 transferable MG's right now. Taking the cap off that to make new guns available will swell the market. But no matter what you will not be able to make more of the *original* guns that collectors will pay top dollar for. I'll buy a replica to shoot. I'll buy the real thing as an investment. And that is what I have done *with* the Hughes crap in place. I don't own any transferable weapon that doesn't already have intrinsic value.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Jeff, I'm with you 100%, which is why my comment wasn't really aimed at the collector market. I'm thinking primarily about dealers with shelf stock of "shooter grade" transferables -- i.e. the guys with a handful of converted AR-15's, a few RDIAS, an HK trigger pack or two, and perhaps a couple tube guns or an AK. Those are the guys that are going to REALLY get shafted were Hughes overturned. Not to mention that the moment there's any real truth to Hughes being overturned I expect you'll see the "shooter" market slow, and the closer it gets to passing the "worse" things will get. Who wants to be the guy that paid $20k for a DIAS the day before they are legalized and can be had for $19.95?

Keeping in mind that a full 10+% of the transferable market is JUST MAC-type guns, when you throw in AR-15 conversions, DIAS, SP86 conversions, trigger packs, sears, tubes, bolts, etc. it gets hard for me to imagine that the bulk of the registry would be collector-grade guns, but (sadly) without being able to actually see what's on the books, we're limited to educated guesses and gut feelings.