Thread: damage to auto sear

damage to auto sear

Stupid me, I closed the upper on my M 16 with the selector on auto. No obvious damage, and everything works fine. Could there be some damage that I'm not aware of?

I'm sure that your upper is a M16 upper, yes there are AR15 only uppers and M16 uppers. The M16 uppers have a relief cut for the sear and if you tried using a AR15 upper with out the sear relief you would have a bunch of issues.

Anyway, the bolt may have contacted the sear but should be fine. Think about RDIAS, they are always in the "auto" position that a regular sear flips to when you put the selector to auto.

bottom line should be fine.

Yeah, thanks. I see that relief cut now. I have a Colt "Sporter," California version without bayonet lug without that cut. I never noticed. Thank God I escaped Calif. I now live in the free state of Missouri. Thanks again for the heads up on the uppers. I might have tried the "Sporter" upper on the M16 without your information. I see how that could be a problem.

A picture so you can see what I was talking about.

From http://www.biggerhammer.net

M16 Sear Relief Comparison

Yeah, thanks again. Fortunately, that AR Sporter upper of mine has the "big hole" front take down pin hole, so it wouldn't work with an M16 lower. Good heads up,though. I'll always double check to make sure I have a real M16 upper. Good pictures.