Thread: Updated NFA handbook

Updated NFA handbook

Are you taking suggestions as to things that need to be covered or clarified in the NFA Handbook? I have things that I constantly have to deal with and can't get a straight answer from ATF. Everyone says get it in writing and I have found a letter from ATF on an issue is useless because the IOI's, Legal Council, Tech Branch, or law enforcement branch just make up rules as they see fit and it doesn't matter what letter you have. I have found they will all tend to go buy what’s in the NFA Handbook. They will also use the handbook to justify their view, when it is in black and white that what is in the handbook does not apply to the situation.

I have been trying to straighten out one issue for the last 4 years where Tech Branch is telling me one thing and ATF legal council and the law enforcement is telling me the exact opposite. I am just a little guy trying to make a living I don't have the luxury of being able to afford high priced lawyers. So I am stuck in the middle just trying to do what’s right, what’s legal, and what is best for my customers.

I am not afraid to deal with ATF and in a way it has become a problem. I am constantly getting calls from dealers and manufacturers asking me how to deal with different problems. Some of them have told me ATF told them to call me and I would know how to handle that situation best. It's nice that people at ATF trust my opinion so much but what position does that put me in. I have no authority to be making these calls.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

More than happy to take inquiries/issues here. Please be aware that the NFA Handbook and the FTB Handbook are two separate projects. The FTB Handbook has yet to be published because, surprise, ATF has been dragging their feet in providing needed documentation.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

NFATCA President
    Getting specific feedback on specific issues is exactly what we are looking for. Put in writing on this forum and I can guarantee we will take it on. We are always looking for holes in interpretations and anything that feet on the ground are experiencing with ATF. Just let us know what your issues are and we will not only get you the right answers but in many cases we can get it in writing and get it out to the field so that everyone is singing from the same sheet of music.

I will start posting issues as I remember then and have time to post them. Here is the first one.

What is destored? Not for importation as is in the current handbook but when it is sitting on my workbench. I have been told by ATF everything from it is my call since I am the expert, to a single bandsaw cut, to if it takes me 8 hours to rebuild (By whos watch?), to what is in the NFA handbook for the importation of parts kits.

I realize that I am not most people. I have the skill and equipment to take a reciever that has been melted down into a puddle and turn it back into the exact same receiver markings and all. It's just a mater of how long it takes. Everyone is playing buy different rules when it comes to destroying recievers. It is not that hard of a question.

I had an issue with an Slotted Uzi bolt and trying to figure out what destroyed was. I have also had issues with MP5 parts kits that come from Police Departments. I had a few in here that customers had sent me for building into SBR's. I was told that they still concidered machine guns even though they cut up. The parts kits were still left here after they told me they were illegal machine guns.
    Last edited by BWE Firearms; 04-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

When does a firearms reciever or suppressor need to be marked?

I have been told I had to serialize and register to 12' lengths of DOM tubbing as suppressors as soon as it came in the door. I have also been told that it does not have to be marked and registered until it is to the point that anyone can screw parts on and have it function as well as it doesn't have to be marked until it goes out the door.

I understand that there is a big difference between when I am making 1, 2, or 6 suppressors in a run and Gemtech making 500 in a run, but we are both manufacturers and there is no difference at what point the tube becomes a suppressor and they should be marked. I just would like a simple answer for a simple question from ATF.

Again everyone is playing buy different rules. To me this is pretty simple stuff as to when something becomes a usable item of course I am just a gunsmith, what do I know about guns.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

As I understand it, ATF recently issued a clarification letter relating to the marking timelines. From what I remember, it was generally 7 days from the date of manufacture.

An article in the most recent "e"-version of SAR/SAOTW discusses it in full detail.

ATF is finally reviewing the NFA Handbook, created by NFATCA and presented to ATF. Long past time. Send suggestions to info@nfatca.org

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    ATF is finally reviewing the NFA Handbook, created by NFATCA and presented to ATF. Long past time. Send suggestions to info@nfatca.org
    Seems to be time for ATF to revisit that publication, after 41F.
    webstrands
    NRA Endowment Life Member

We've been pressing them on it for years. Budget constraints and such. Hell, their reg books are way out of date, too.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org