Thread: Machine Gun Rentals

Machine Gun Rentals

There has been quite a lot of buzz regarding an article written in the latest ATF FFL Newsletter (see link). The buzz surrounds the ATF opinion describing what does and does not constitute a transfer when "renting" a machine gun. Many were interpreting the article to mean that off premise machine gun rentals, such as those that occur at Knob Creek, would now be forbidden. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!

As confirmed with senior ATF officials, a transfer does NOT take place as long as the registrant or employee of the registrant maintains supervision of the weapon. What IS a transfer is when one rents a weapon to an individual and that individual takes the weapon beyond the supervision of the lawful owner.

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...3_volume_2.pdf

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

I shoot a lot of subgun matches and am happy to lend an Uzi out if someone needs one. Sometimes the person will be in a different squad. We always make sure we place shooters shooting an unfamiliar gun with our best Range Officers. Better safe then sorry. ATF has told me in the past that as long as I was on range property I could lend guns out without it being a transfer. Have they changed their mind and I now have to be the RO for anyone I lend an Uzi too.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

Not going to try and offer a legal opinion here. You should be okay, but if somebody wanted to make a big deal out of it...

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org