Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Longer wait times at the NFA Branch?

ha! I've been trying to explain to folks the concept of arbitrage for ammunition. There's money to be made on both sides of the cycle if you remain disciplined.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

Oh, no, I'm a "buy and hold" kinda guy. Especially these days.

Back on subject... I am extremely dubious of ATF's publication of average processing times. I just got a Form 4 back for a customer. Submitted 4/3/13, approved on 2/10/14, mailed on 2/12/14, received on 2/20/14. That's a bit more than a year, folks...

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    Back on subject... I am extremely dubious of ATF's publication of average processing times. I just got a Form 4 back for a customer. Submitted 4/3/13, approved on 2/10/14, mailed on 2/12/14, received on 2/20/14. That's a bit more than a year, folks...
    Does the ATF have an end game or goal they would like to get processing times down too? If money and staffing were not an issue, would they really want to lower wait times or do the powers above them like and want the longest wait times the market can bear on purpose?

Impossible to answer. At one point, under the leadership of then NFA Branch Chief Ken Houchens, the goal was to drive *down* the wait times and speed up processing. That was before the suppressor revolution commenced, though. And while the number of forms processed per processor has absolutely increased, the sheer volume of forms has gone up geometrically. eForms was designed to help with that work load, but was delivered in a form hardly suitable for the volume at hand.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

I'm still at a loss as to how eforms were supposed to help with the workload.

Is/was the thought that by eforming F1's and F3's, there would be more bandwidth to manually process the F4's (since F4's often require prints/photos/etc they would almost never be viable via eform so far as I understand it)?

It's a whole host of forms, not just 1's and 3's. 6's, 4's (for trust/corp), 5's, 2's, etc. Since almost all the data is pulled from the actual NFRTR system, the error rate drops dramatically because it is so difficult to populate with wrong data. That is HUGE. But what was not anticipated was the current and increasing volume.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

How could an F4 for a trust be submitted electronically when it requires additional paperwork (the trust documentation)?

A corporation I could perhaps see, but I thought those also required the articles of incorporation and such.

The trust is sent as a .pdf

Ah, I had apparently been misguided regarding eForms as my impression was that only forms which require NO additional documentation could be submitted that way.

Thanks for the clarification!