Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trust Changes Ahead...

Trust Changes Ahead...

As we noted awhile back... The White House and DOJ/ATF are moving toward a requirement that any entity such as a corporation or trust designate one or more responsible persons, with fingerprint/photo requirements, in order to transfer NFA weapons. This is a work in progress but is getting closer to reality. More information can be found in this article.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

...It is illegal in the United States for civilians to purchase machine guns made after 1986.

The trusts can be formed relatively easily by a lawyer and cost a few hundred dollars. Aside from the ease of securing restricted weapons, they also assure that gun owners’ firearms will be transferred to their loved ones when they die without going through bureaucratic channels...
    Gee. I didn't know Corporations and Trusts could possess post-86 machine guns.

That article had a lot of bad information on it and also didn't say anything about the removal of the CLEO sign off requirement. So maybe that's a good thing it was written poorly. For entertainment purposes read all the comments to the article LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    As we noted awhile back... The White House and DOJ/ATF are moving toward a requirement that any entity such as a corporation or trust designate one or more responsible persons, with fingerprint/photo requirements, in order to transfer NFA weapons. This is a work in progress but is getting closer to reality. More information can be found in this article.
    Very unfortunate. What do you think the chances are of us getting lucky and having this change get hung up in red tape and dying as it should?

Very interesting. This is why when I started buying and making NFA weapons I did all my Form 1s and 4s as an individual. I am just hoping to get all my supressors and SBR's registered before they try and pull another Hughes Amendment deal and shut the registry down on those too.

The article was worded poorly and a lot of the Internet blog comments on various sites are equally disjointed. Whether any of this will actually happen is still anyone's guess. This issue, the CLEO signature elimination and a few other items were announced last year in a preliminary announcement (that we reported) of a possibility of an NPRM. This stuff has to be published, at some point, in the Federal Register and opened for public commentary. Eliminating the CLEO thing for everyone is a good thing, but it is NOT necessarily tied to this trust/corp effort.

Prohibited persons have absolutely gained possession of NFA items via trusts and corps. ATF/DOJ are trying to figure out a way to shore up that possibility.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    Prohibited persons have absolutely gained possession of NFA items via trusts and corps. ATF/DOJ are trying to figure out a way to shore up that possibility.
    The government has failed to stop criminals from obtaining Title I firearms. What makes them think they can stop them from obtaining NFA items?

Instead of harassing those of us who are law abiding, perhaps they should start punishing the criminals in earnest. How many times has the government pursued charges on prohibited persons who attempt to purchase firearms via a Form 4473? Not very many, that's for sure.
    Last edited by RenegadeConservative; 08-24-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeConservative View Post
    The government has failed to stop criminals from obtaining Title I firearms. What makes them think they can stop them from obtaining NFA items?

Instead of harassing those of us who are law abiding, perhaps they should start punishing the criminals in earnest. How many times has the government pursued charges on prohibited persons who attempt to purchase firearms via a Form 4473? Not very many, that's for sure.
    Well said! A criminal can steal a shotgun, go to the hardware store, buy a hacksaw and there you go... they have a SBS. No law will stop a criminal from doing this. Only us law abiding citizens are willing to pay a tax to modify our already legally owned private property.

This article was written to make it sound like a "sawed-off" shot gun was some kind of mystical device that no one can make themselves in their garage. It also kind of made it sound like we can walk into a gun show and walk out with a civilian transferable machine gun the same day, without a background check. LOL

Sorry guys and gals with trusts...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-ex...-control-steps

NO! It is not done...

There are a lot of folks running around doing the Chicken Little dance. The sky is not falling today! There is a bill that has been proposed that would dramatically increase excise taxes on guns and ammo and increase NFA fees. IT IS JUST A BILL AND IS NOT THE LAW OF THE LAND. The bill is not expected to gain traction.

There is also a lot of consternation over today's Presidential executive action item regarding trusts and corps. We have been keeping you up to date on this. It STILL must go through the official rule making process in order to become real. As soon as it hits the Federal Register, everyone MUST voice their opposition. Otherwise, fingerprints and photos will be required for responsible persons, however that gets defined.

These are Executive ACTIONS, not orders. It is the President saying "hey, I wanna get this done." It is not circumventing the rule making process.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org