Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill introduced to raise the NFA tax

Bill introduced to raise the NFA tax

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...with-new-bill/

A few paragraphs in...

Raise the $200 tax to $500
    Raise the $5 to $100

Then index to inflation.

Thoughts? I think this might be a good time to educate Congress and opens a door to discussing an overhaul or repeal of the NFA.
    Last edited by jason8844; 08-27-2013 at 05:03 PM.

That's the very definition of Catch 22. You'd be surprised at how many CongressCritters are unaware of NFA and that a civilian can own a machine gun. I really do not expect this bill to get very far...

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

I agree, but I could see this getting tucked away in Dianne Feinstein's drawer like her AWB until the Dems control it all again. I also think that it will not pass if connected with a tax on title 1 guns and ammo. But the NFA tax could be passed as a stand alone amendment to an omnibus bill. It is worth watching.

The increase does not make it out of reach, but for guys like me that can not afford transferable machineguns, but can buy suppressors it is a little worrisome.

I thought about this more, and I think there would be a negative consequence to this tax if it passed. With such low prosecution rates for people possessing illegal SBR's or SBS's, I could see more people playing legal roulette and not registering them when they make one. Much of NFA law is followed on volunteer compliance.

Add to that the fact that while there are some crimes committed with registered NFA weapons, the incidence is breathtakingly low. Selling this as a crime solving measure would be nigh impossible.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

This is what happens when people keep bitching to congress critters about the current state of NFA waits. This is also the sort of bill that gets congress critters aware of NFA.

Hopefully this doesn't pass, or otherwise make things worse for us!

Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    This is what happens when people keep bitching to congress critters about the current state of NFA waits. This is also the sort of bill that gets congress critters aware of NFA.

Hopefully this doesn't pass, or otherwise make things worse for us!
    What do we do when wait times reach 1 year, 2 years, 5 years? Suffer in silence and hope that one day bureaucrats in alabaster clad buildings with marble pillars outside are benevolent enough to let us exercise our Constitutional rights?

Not saying anything to those who represent us allows the people who want to shut down the NFA and close the registries do so by administrative fiat by making the waits so long you and your children will be long dead before your paperwork even hits "pending".

What is the answer then?

There are people who to this day get stamps handled routinely in less than 6 months using internal ATF channels (and I don't mean back room deals). Additionally, the situation you refer to is one of the reasons why support of organizations like NFATCA or ASA are so important.

Also, there is a distinction between contacting a senator with a sympathetic ear and "letter writing" (which is really what I was referring to above). Letter writing has rarely served anyone well; let alone those involved in the world of NFA.

There is a vast difference in contacting Ted Nugent (were he a senator or congressman) for help on NFA related issues and contacting Bloomberg (were he a senator or congressman) for the same.

Unfortunately for us, most representatives are not likely sympathetic to private ownership of machine guns and/or Howitzers.
    Last edited by sillycon; 08-30-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    There are people who to this day get stamps handled routinely in less than 6 months using internal ATF channels (and I don't mean back room deals). Additionally, the situation you refer to is one of the reasons why support of organizations like NFATCA or ASA are so important.

Also, there is a distinction between contacting a senator with a sympathetic ear and "letter writing" (which is really what I was referring to above). Letter writing has rarely served anyone well; let alone those involved in the world of NFA.

There is a vast difference in contacting Ted Nugent (were he a senator or congressman) for help on NFA related issues and contacting Bloomberg (were he a senator or congressman) for the same.

Unfortunately for us, most representatives are not likely sympathetic to private ownership of machine guns and/or Howitzers.

Thanks for the clarification. I completely agree. Here in Texas we are VERY NFA friendly and both our Senators and Governor are big supporters of the 2nd amendment and as far as I can gather from talking with their staff, very pro-NFA (machine guns and silencers, etc).

the bottom of the state suffers from a case of democrat law enforcement officials who will not for any reason sign off on NFA forms