Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Examiner Assignments

This has nothing to do with what the NFA Branch wants. They had bought into getting rid of CLEO a long time ago. The current NPRM is all about what the White House wants...

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

Quote Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
    From the folks I have spoken to in different state, the growth in the use of trusts is due to the intransigence of some CLEOs who refuse to sign off on Form 4s.

If NFA Branch changed the requirement from requiring sign-off to informing the CLEO (as with 03 FFLs), fewer people would see the need for an NFA trust.

mbogo
    I agree. These CLEO think they are sticking it to people by not signing when all they are doing is helping people circumvent a more rigorous background check to get the same legal weapons that are their right to own.

I am blessed to live in Tarrant Count, TX. Sheriff Anderson is a huge supporter of the 2nd Amendment and gun owner's rights. He often gets my Form 1s and 4s back to me in a week. I have never gotten to meet him in person, but I hear he is a great guy and fair and professional law enforcement officer. I will vote for him as long as he continues to run. Because he will sign, I do all my forms as an individual and do not have a need to go through a trust. I am single, do not have children and doubt I ever will, so I do not worry about inheritance issues.

So when you pass, what happens to your collection?

If it's up to the state, I wouldn't be surprised if it would be surrendered/destroyed.

Assuming that no trust is set up, there is always dreary old probate for the will. You do have a will, right? Your executor can pass the collection to whom you designate via Form 5's. It's not up to the state, unless you allow it to be.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

My point was that it sounded like estate planning hadn't been a concern for Jason, which would cause the state to appoint an executor were he to pass intestate and have no other lawful heirs.

E.g. "if you haven't figured out a disposition for your toys when you die, us other collectors would appreciate it if you did so that they don't run the risk of being destroyed/lost."

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    Assuming that no trust is set up, there is always dreary old probate for the will. You do have a will, right? Your executor can pass the collection to whom you designate via Form 5's. It's not up to the state, unless you allow it to be.
    No, I do not have a will that deals with my firearms collection. I was thinking in the future I would set it up so my collection (both title i and title ii) of guns would be donated to the NRA or the National Firearms Museum. They could then use them or sell them as they need to raise capital for whatever they need.

Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    My point was that it sounded like estate planning hadn't been a concern for Jason, which would cause the state to appoint an executor were he to pass intestate and have no other lawful heirs.

E.g. "if you haven't figured out a disposition for your toys when you die, us other collectors would appreciate it if you did so that they don't run the risk of being destroyed/lost."
    Do not worry, I do not own any irreplaceable transferable MG's. I wish I did though! I only own suppressors and SBRs. So nothing to worry about.

However, I was thinking about having them pile all my NFA toys into my coffin with me! Well, and maybe my prized Colt Python too. I will taken them all with me. LOL
    Last edited by jason8844; 11-05-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Why does my mind's eye see Slim Pickens riding an ICBM???

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    Why does my mind's eye see Slim Pickens riding an ICBM???
    I thought that he who dies with the most toys wins. Plus, if I have them in my coffin, the gun grabbers can not get them. LOL

woot!

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Literally "from my cold dead fingers", eh?