Thread: Pen Guns

Pen Guns

Pen guns have always been my greatest fascination. I have looked at many of them and have bought a few, but I have a couple of questions about them.
    1. Does anyone know of a comprehensive publication on the history or different manufacturers and designs.
    2. Does anyone remember what ruling (specifically) made the Braverman style class III? I recall that at some point it was not, and I have heard repeatedly that it was reclassified, but cannot find the ruling.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Jay's Guns

I'm going to nudge John Brown to chime in on this. He has far more knowledge of this stuff than I do!

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

NFATCA President
    Jay,
    The Braverman Pen Pistols are not NFA or class III. They were reviewed by the Firearms Technology Branch and classified as a Title One firearm because in order to fire the gun you had to break it down ( fold in half) in order to expose the trigger to fire it. I want to warn you that there are many inspectors with ATF that don't know this, but it is definitely a title one firearm and is not regulated by the NFA.
    Hope this helps.

John,
    I was sure that this was the case. I have been quoted "the rule" even by ATF personnel, but have never been able to get a ruling number to look it up. Thanks for the reinforcement.
    Bill
    Bill Lake

General Manager
    Jay's Guns & Accessories
    850-785-4686
    jaysgunsonline.com

CEO
    Iron Hammer Security
    850-305-7182
    ironhammersecurity.com

Lover of all things that go "BANG"

I've been wanting to get a Flashlight/pen gun type AOW for over a year and I haven't been able to find someone reliable to make one for me yet.

Any suggestions?

I have seen these floating around, usually a custom build. I have a gunsmith currently working on two designs for the small two AA battery "Mag-Lite". Hopefully he can come up with something that works well. As a base plan we are using the "Stinger" design by MAC and a much more simplified design used by Daniels. If he makes any headway, I will let you know, but he has been very busy and my project is a "back burner".
    Bill
    Bill Lake

General Manager
    Jay's Guns & Accessories
    850-785-4686
    jaysgunsonline.com

CEO
    Iron Hammer Security
    850-305-7182
    ironhammersecurity.com

Lover of all things that go "BANG"

NFATCA President
    If are interested in purchasing one of the ARES maglite guns they made contact me via this thread. We have the full size and the AA models both. AOW's are a blast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown View Post
    If are interested in purchasing one of the ARES maglite guns they made contact me via this thread. We have the full size and the AA models both. AOW's are a blast!!!
    PM sent the other day

I'm also interested in a pen gun could you send me some info thanks.