Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official NFATCA 41p Comment & Legal Brief

Official NFATCA 41p Comment & Legal Brief

Our counsel has prepared our official comment in opposition to NPRM 41P. A copy of the submission can be found here. Our attorneys have developed a four pronged response that challenges the ATF/White House action on several fronts, including Constitutional issues, Administrative procedures Act (APA) issues, federalism defaults and misuse of confidential tax information. We intend to vigorously defend your rights and attack the clearly illegal efforts of gun control advocates. Our original petition and the experiences of our members provide strong standing and we intend to drive this to success. Your help and support is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

Stephen P. Halbrook, eh?

Things could get very interesting very quick.

Good stuff. Do we know when they will announce their decision on the new rules?

It’s hard to predict how long a final rule would take. ATF has to review and evaluate the comments (which could take a while given the number of comments and the level of detail they include). Then they have to draft a final rule and submit it for OMB review and approval before publication. I would think it will certainly take several months.

I think that applications would have to be processed according to the regulations that are in effect at the time of processing. Of course, given the delays that already exist in processing these forms, it means that if the regulation becomes final in its current form, a large number of currently sufficient applications will get kicked back based on the new standards. That’s why we are suggesting a long effective date to minimize the cost (both to ATF and to applicants) of rejecting and resubmitting applications, should they decide to move forward.

Because the rule applies to the processing of applications to make or transfer a firearm, I don’t think it could have any effect on applications that have already been approved.

And yes, Stephen Halbrook.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Updated ATF "Unified Agenda" statement indicates final action on proposed rule expected 06/00/2014: http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAg...&RIN=1140-AA43
    Armorer-at-Law.com
    07FFL/02SOT

You beat me to it.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Well I have to say that there were a lot of great comments posted from some very reputable people and organizations. Here are my thoughts...

What I wish will happen - Nothing

What I would accept happening - Requiring fingerprints and photos, but no CLEO signature.

What I think will happen - Ignoring all 7000+ comments and implementing the rule.

And we still have three more years left...

Quote Originally Posted by jason8844 View Post
    Well I have to say that there were a lot of great comments posted from some very reputable people and organizations. Here are my thoughts...

What I wish will happen - Nothing (I am down with this too)

What I would accept happening - Requiring fingerprints and photos, but no CLEO signature. (Not I! For an individual yes, for trusts/corps/etc it's BS and illegal)

What I think will happen - Ignoring all 7000+ comments and implementing the rule. (..and with the current communist rule it will be implemented whenever they like. Could be tomorrow and nothing will be done about it. Complain, threaten litigation, etc. It will just go down and be forgotten just like every other single scandal to numerous to list. )
    The law, the constitution and the balance of powers mean absolutely nothing to the current regime. It is absolutely mind numbing the crimes they are being allowed to perpetrate and even more so the lack of outrage of such.
    This is about guns, politically incorrect and NFA weps? Only the military should be allowed those is the enemy's mantra. Here the minority, a very small politically incorrect one especially in todays climate will lose.
    Last edited by ddnc; 12-12-2013 at 05:06 PM.

ddnc, IMO you are spot on with your assessment of the current administration. They are not concerned with law, the Constitution or the legal and moral obligation to represent the people and defend the Constitution. Everything that they do strikes me as a way to get around the "obstacles" that we call laws and rights.

My take on how things could play out...

1. They ignore the groundswell of public sentiment against their efforts and push it through, as is. This is the easiest course of action for them and gives them a "win" right now that cannot be undone in a snap. The timing for elections is about right and by the time it wends its way through the process, Obama is retired and earning speakers fees for being such a great leader. This is the most likely scenario.
    2. They modify the NPRM and try something a little less drastic. I do not see them doing this because even though it keeps the issue on the table, it admits that they screwed up. This administration doesn't do that very well or very often.
    3. They withdraw the NPRM. This actually could happen.

If they do the first or second option, we (NFATCA) will sue them via our 4-pronged offensive detailed in our legal brief attached to our 41P comment. Where our legal battle has legs is where all of the previous efforts have failed; it the fact that we will have standing. We will take this as far as we have to in order to secure elimination of the CLEO sign offs. Make no mistake... there will be some type of background check required for the delivery of an NFA weapon to an individual or non-natural person. The NFATCA will press for the least restrictive approach that comports with the existing legislation. As we have learned, existing legislation does not allow for fingerprints and photographs of non-natural person acquisitions of NFA weapons. It does allow for background checks. I think that the best approach would be for the background check to be done via NICS or something similar at time of delivery to the/a primary responsible party. Not anyone and everyone associated with the legal entity. I'll leave the nuts and bolts to our counsel.

As for option three... It might appear to some that doing that would eliminate NFATCA standing. Not so fast. We are carefully documenting the refusal of all CLEO's in a specific jurisdiction to sign a set of NFA transfer requests. Even if the 41P NPRM is withdrawn, we intend to press the fight to eliminate CLEO.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org