Thread: Proposed Bill in Virginia relating to CLEO sign-offs

Proposed Bill in Virginia relating to CLEO sign-offs

I thought you all may find this interesting. I hope it gains some traction. It will force CLEOs to sign off on all NFA forms within 15 days as long as the applicant is not a prohibited person.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...?141+sum+HB878
    Last edited by jason8844; 01-16-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Well, that's one way to solve the problem of the CLEO signature.

What I find unfortunate about the bill, however, is that there are essentially no "teeth" to compel a CLEO to act within the law.

It's similar to how the state of FL passed a law saying more local forms of gov't can't pass laws more restrictive than the state laws. Many counties and municipalities violated the law because there were no consequences for non-compliance. Finally, some years later (maybe a decade or two? I forget) another bill was passed which gave that law "teeth", and we saw counties cease enforcement of (or outright repeal) the illegal statutes.

Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    Well, that's one way to solve the problem of the CLEO signature.

What I find unfortunate about the bill, however, is that there are essentially no "teeth" to compel a CLEO to act within the law.

It's similar to how the state of FL passed a law saying more local forms of gov't can't pass laws more restrictive than the state laws. Many counties and municipalities violated the law because there were no consequences for non-compliance. Finally, some years later (maybe a decade or two? I forget) another bill was passed which gave that law "teeth", and we saw counties cease enforcement of (or outright repeal) the illegal statutes.
    If memory serves me right, Alaska has a similar law too.

In case anyone cares, this Bill passed in committee on a party line vote and now goes to the floor of the House.

Good news!

Now it just needs an amendment to state that Trusts can also register NFA items with the State Police and they'll take care of two birds with one stone!

Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    Good news!

Now it just needs an amendment to state that Trusts can also register NFA items with the State Police and they'll take care of two birds with one stone!
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what do you think the chances that the new Governor (a known anti-gunner) would sign it into law? I am doubtful and I do not think it is a hot button enough issue to have the votes to override the a veto.

Virginia has historically allowed individuals to register machine guns at the state level that were transferred to trusts at the federal level. This may likely be much ado about nothing.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org