PDA

View Full Version : Question - Form 2 return?

n7qvu
02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
When a Form 2 is sent/faxed to ATF-NFA do they return a copy with a "NFA Control Number' and receipt date on it?

The instructions kinda imply you don't get anything back:
6. Receipt by NFA Branch. Receipt of the notice by the NFA Branch will effectuate the registration of the firearms.

Jerry

n7qvu
02-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Spoke to ATF on Thursday, after finding the ATF phone # on Form 2 was incorrect.

The tech said that I would get back a copy of the F2 with control # and date stamped.
Since this was my 1st F2, he suggested that I wait to get the it back before I built the item.
I asked him how long it should take and he replied less than 30 days.

Jerry

BWE Firearms
02-17-2013, 04:05 AM
You build the gun then send in the Form 2. It is to tell ATF what you have built. You will get a copy back, even if you dont get a copy back who cares. It is your responsibility to fill out the form and send it in. You are not resposible to make sure they get it and enter it into the system. I send my Form 2s in by the USPS first class mail the same way ATF sends a copy back.

ExecDirector
02-17-2013, 04:41 PM
^^^ I get mine turned around in about 3-4 weeks. Form 2 is a "Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported." A notice. Not an application to make.

n7qvu
02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
I understand the difference between a F1 and a F2.

As stated above, it was my 1st F2, I chose to be cautious, and the same was echoed by the ATF Tech.

I have read postings regarding out-of-service fax machines and such, so want to be 100% sure the ATF received my faxed F2 and it was processed.

Farther down the road, I'm sure I'll be a member of the fax-and-forget-it team.

Jerry Wyatt
FFL 07/02

ExecDirector
02-19-2013, 10:04 PM
I tend to keep a copy of the submitted notice along with a notation that includes the date submitted. And I almost always giggle when I get the things back. The amazing skill needed to fold the thing just so to make my address appear in the addressee window of the envelope...

n7qvu
03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Well my 1st F2 came back on 3/11 with a cover letter indicating an error in my EIN.
I'm a detailed person, but totally overlooked the fact that I omitted a digit in my EIN. My EIN has 4 of the same digits in a row, and I had only included 3 of them. DUH!

A ROOKEY mistake!
I corrected and shipped it back to ATF 2 day mail.

Jerry
FFL 07/02

ExecDirector
03-14-2013, 01:22 AM
It is truly amazing to consider the range of mistakes that can and do occur!

n7qvu
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I received my stamped Form 2 back yesterday.
They processed the corrected F2 the day after it was received and put it back in the mail. Fast turn around.

I know the ATF provides a list of common mistakes resulting when they do no-notice inspections, but do they provide a list of mistakes found on the various forms(1,2,3 4 & 5). I think that would be helpful to us and also might cut down on mistake processing for that ATF-NFA group.

Jerry
FFL 07/02