PDA

View Full Version : Belligerent USPS

darrylta
08-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Why is it that the United States Postal Service has a policy of denying FFL-03 holders of receiving C&R handguns through the mail?

This action is contrary to the intent of the C&R FFL. It seems that according to the USPS, only dealers can use this
taxpayer / funded service regarding handgun shipments.

It is apparent that our existing banana republic government picks and chooses which laws it enforces and or ignores, but this
is a blatant anti-gun government action against the citizens / gun collectors of the US.

Is the NFATCA addressing this?

Thanks,
Darryl

ExecDirector
08-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Not a single, solitary person has brought this issue to my attention. But with that said, according to USPS regulations:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

It is perfectly legal to mail a handgun as long as the mailer and the addressee are dealers. If you are the receiver and a dealer, it's good to go unless the sender is not a dealer. Do you have a specific example where the USPS has denied the dealer status of an 03 for the purposes of mailing an NFA handgun?

darrylta
08-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Jeff,
I belong to several forums and all are adamant that C&R's can't receive C&R handguns including C&R AOWs via the USPS.
After reading the USPS's regulations, I can see where the confusion is on both accounts.

A Type FFL-03 is not deemed a dealer by the ATF, we do not buy guns on a flip for profit motive, we are collectors not dealers.

The USPS regulations specifically uses the term " a licensed dealer" in its allowable mailing descriptions. This description goes against the
intent of the ATF's Type FFL-03 regulations / privileges. The main advantage in having a FFL-03 is trim down the transaction process between the seller and buyer.
My interpretation of FFL-03 privilege is that any seller, be it a dealer or individual can forward the C&R handgun to a FFL-03 home address by showing the shipper
a signed copy of the buyers C&R FFL. I've done many transactions in this manner, some with the USPS, still others think that the expensive Fed EX overnight shipping is
the only viable way. This confusion is based on a strict interpretation of the USPS's regulations. Bottom line, it's written wrong, FFL-03 collectors should be included in the
regulations as being able to receive C&R firearms including handguns and NFA AOW items via the USPS.

It seems to me that the USPS is ignorant of the ATF's regulations and the ATF is to lazy to correct the USPS regulations. It would be helpful seeing that we somewhat have the attention of
ATF, to bring up this malady of conflicting regulations / privileges.

Thanks,

Darryl

retarmyaviator
11-06-2013, 01:38 PM
A C&R FFL is not a dealer's license based on the fact a C&R is not suppose to be engaged in business. USPS is not ignorant of the ATF regulations in fact they are following ATF regulations by not allowing non-dealers to ship handguns through their system.

If you want to be a dealer you will be subject to all the various inspections, zoning and business license requirements that go along with that type FFL. As a C&R for the most part you are exempt from those requirements, with the good comes the bad.