Thread: machine gun parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

machine gun parts

I own a registered M16. I also own several semi ARs. Can I legally posess extra or replacement M16 parts (bolt assemblies, short barrels, etc.) For use only in the NFA firearm, or is there an issue with having the auto parts and the semi guns in posession?

It is my understanding that you can.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

The last time I asked Tech Branch about M16 parts they said you could have any M16 part in an semi auto AR except the auto sear and selector. I have also been told parts are parts. I don't think there would be any problems with having extra parts.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

What Richard is stating seems to be the current mode of thought. Actually having a registered NFA weapon that uses those parts also greatly diminishes any "constructive possession" angle that a less informed LEO might mount.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

We've seen ARs coming from the manufacturers for a while now with M16 bolt carriers, have yet to see any with fire control components though. I personally do not see why, in your situation, it should be a problem. One of our customers bought an M16 about 5 years ago, when he took possession of it he also sold us all of his AR15 because an agent he talked to told him he couldn't have them both! I tried to explain the fault in logic, but in the end he stuck with selling them.
    Bill
    Bill Lake

General Manager
    Jay's Guns & Accessories
    850-785-4686
    jaysgunsonline.com

CEO
    Iron Hammer Security
    850-305-7182
    ironhammersecurity.com

Lover of all things that go "BANG"

NFATCA President
    Skeety,
    You just need to use a little common sense on this one. As long as you own an M16 you are good to go your question. When you replace any of the AR parts with M16 parts you, even though an innocent part, you begin to cross a slippery slope called "Constructive Pocession". That means that you have pocession and may have intent to construct an unregistered weapon. As a suggestion I would never store those parts in the same location as your ARs. It avoids the issue altogether.