Thread: 9mm AR SBR Build

9mm AR SBR Build

In the planning stage to build a 9mm AR SBR. I happen to have a Bushmaster AR-15 lower with the caliber 5.56 or .223 already manufacturer engraved.
    Well I need to remove the 5.56 or .223 and engrave 9mm along with my name and city, state ?
    OR
    Can I just purchase a receiver that has multi caliber already engraved on it, and then engrave the 9mm, name, city state ?
    I know I can buy a dedicated 9mm lower, but there out of my price range.
    Thanks for the help

As an individual you just need to engrave your name + city/state. You do not have to remove anything and actually cannot once it is registered as an NFA item. Feel free to add 9mm if you like.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

Thanks Jeff. So on the form 1 the caliber well be 9mm ?

If it was mine, I would add the additional 9mm engraving *before* the build. I would then state 9mm on the form, since NFA Branch only accepts one caliber these days.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

I have assembled several SBR's after an approved form 1 is in hand. The caliber on the receiver matched the caliber stated on the ATF form 1, and consequently the designated ammunition was utilized in that SBR. Today I submitted a form 1 on the ATF E-Form site. The only caliber displayed in the pull down menu was .223. So that is what well appear on the approved form 1. Talking to the Class 3 FFL I transfer thru, he said so long as the barrel has "9MM" engraved on it. Everything is good.

Jeff, well you please make sense of this hole thing. What's stopping me from modifying my SPIKE's Tactical SBR from .223 to 9mm and back again ?

Nothing is stopping you. After the form is approved you can send a letter to ATF saying that the caliber is now 9mm. When you want to go back, you can send another letter. Most people do not even bother with the letter since there is no duty to report even the removal of a weapon from SBR configuration.

If you want to have 9mm on the form, you can file by paper. This is a current limitation on the eForm system.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Thank you Jeff.

Merry Christmas!

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org