Thought I would tap into the knowledge base... We know that the form 4473 has a little question that reads "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana..." An answer in the affirmative eliminates the ability to legally transfer the weapon. If the dealer *knows* that a person is *lying* on that question, then he/she is not supposed to complete the transaction.

Who here has refused a transfer on these grounds? There is a huge percentage of folks out there that burns tree on a regular basis and gives it the same regard as those who have a beer or a cocktail. The difference being that one is legal and one isn't. What objective yardstick do you use to say "NO!"?

I have a shotgun sitting in my shop that has been here for over two years. The guy brought it in for a simple repair and then I discovered his penchant for blazing. I refused to return the shottie and told him that if he had a problem with it... call the cops and send 'em over. He didn't protest. The thing is, I'm not a court of law! And there really is no guidance as to what objective criteria I should use when/if he claims he is clean. Do I make him buy a pot test kit at Walgreens and then come pee in a cup, send off the results and then give him back the gun when the test comes back clean? Do I take his word for it?