Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Form News From ATF

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    The reason for the current delays is simple: There are LOTS more folks submitting applications for LOTS more weapons. The rate has grown exponentially over the past three years.
    Regardless of wait time. This is a great thing. It means more people are exercising their Constitutional rights and in the end does a few things...

1. More people using the NFA system means it is less likely they (anti-gunners) could shut it down.
    2. More weapons means it is harder to confiscate and track them all down in a anti-gunners wet dream utopia.
    3. It just ticks anti-gunners off knowing more people have silencers, SBRs and still have MGs!

Quote Originally Posted by jason8844 View Post
    3. It just ticks anti-gunners off knowing more people have silencers, SBRs and still have MGs!
    And DD's. Don't forget the DD's!

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

And DD's. Don't forget the DD's!
    I agree. There is nothing like Double D's.... oh wait, you mean Destructive Devices. I like those too.

Quote Originally Posted by jason8844 View Post
    Regardless of wait time. This is a great thing. It means more people are exercising their Constitutional rights and in the end does a few things...

1. More people using the NFA system means it is less likely they (anti-gunners) could shut it down.
    2. More weapons means it is harder to confiscate and track them all down in a anti-gunners wet dream utopia.
    And...

4. More people with NFA items potentially means more support for reforming the system - in a good way.

Honestly, I think the best thing that could happen at this point is that the popularity of NFA completely overwhelms the NFA branch and causes an utter and complete collapse of the system as it stands. Wait times in the multiple year range, etc.

I think at that point there would be enough fuel to build a fire to start chipping away towards a repeal of NFA.

That said, with 922(o) on the books we're still screwed on MG's even if the NFA went away.

And here we go with the legal snafu w/ the electronic stamps...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...s-might-legal/

That appears to be one lawyer, Mr. Prince, offering an opinion on the subject. I have spoken with ATF and their counsel's opinion is that the new stamps are quite valid. Just like printing postage directly onto an envelope with your desktop printer is valid. In the end, I'm certain that Mr. Prince would be happy to represent you should you decide that your stamp is not valid.

ATF has confirmed to us that they have no intention of issuing "alternate" documents because the issued ones are valid.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

That appears to be one lawyer, Mr. Prince, offering an opinion on the subject. I have spoken with ATF and their counsel's opinion is that the new stamps are quite valid. Just like printing postage directly onto an envelope with your desktop printer is valid. In the end, I'm certain that Mr. Prince would be happy to represent you should you decide that your stamp is not valid.

ATF has confirmed to us that they have no intention of issuing "alternate" documents because the issued ones are valid.
    I understand, but in a world where an administration can Willy-nilly choose what laws to enforce and what laws to ignore I think it makes me leary.

I am a law abiding citizen and always want to remain in compliance. Just like my Hk 94 clone I am going to build when my stamp gets back. It will be 922r compliant, even though some legal "experts" claim 922r does not apply to NFA. Bottom line, I do not take chances and while I fight to change the laws, I abide by them while in place.

So that brings me to my main concerns...

1. That eForm and stamp would be super easy to forge and it would only take one criminal to do it and we all get hurt by the legislative backlash.

2. What will uninformed LEOs do or say when they ask for your proof of registration and you show them a printed off form with a translucent NFA stamp? Sure it will get sorted out when they call the NFA branch and verify my registration, but I would rather not have it done at the police station after they arrest me.
    Last edited by jason8844; 11-13-2013 at 04:30 PM.

I have never had to show anything other than a Xerox copy of my Forms and have never had a problem. I also recommend to all of my customers that they keep the original locked up in a safety deposit box and to never use anything but a copy when toting around their guns. None of my customers have ever had a problem. Frankly, I'm not certain that there are too many local LEO's that would really be able to determine the validity of a real stamp given all of the changes they have had over the years.

My opinion, this is a non issue.

As for 922(r) it only applies when the item is being made or assembled. It does not apply to mere possession. If you are the one making/assembling the thing, 922(r) absolutely pertains to you. The so called expert opinions on 922(r) not applying to NFA are just plain wrong. They have incomplete citations of ATF letters without the original questions. Makes a big difference!

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

.......As for 922(r) it only applies when the item is being made or assembled. It does not apply to mere possession. If you are the one making/assembling the thing, 922(r) absolutely pertains to you.!
    Making/assembling? Almost all NFA guns when modified to be shoulder fired consists of a.) removing several inches from the barrel and or, b.) simply applying a butt stock as is done in any transformation from pistol to rifle. MG's are exempt
    The base platform has already been made or assembled realistically. Does the addition of a stock no different than adding any other external feature or taking a hacksaw to a barrel constitute "making/assembling" and furthermore, if someone else other than the stamp recipient applied the stock and you are only "in possession" what then?
    I think this is where the 922r doesn't apply argument originates from. I trust ATF as much as the liar in chief which translates to zero so I have subbed US parts on all applicable NFA weps. Idiotic law.