Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Longer wait times at the NFA Branch?

Hey Everyone,
    I have noticed in the past month that the places that post updates on the wait times of various NFA forms (NFA tracker, Silencer shop etc.) are showing a very interesting trend. It appears that since the recent announcement from the ATF about new hires and working 7 days a week, the wait times are plummeting back to earth... well, for everyone but one kind of submission. While the wait times on paper form 1s and 4s for trusts and LLC/corps are being reduced, the paper forms by individuals seem to be stagnant. Most reports show that the trusts are getting approved 2 and even 3 months faster than the individuals. Does anyone know why there is such a large discrepancy?

Well you see, the problem is ATF/DOJ isn't being transparent, forthcoming, or candid with the industry they serve and the citizens they serve. That, or the organizations and corporations (eg. NFATCA, NRA, ASA, AAC, GEM-TECH, etc...) that have access to a dialog with ATF are not sharing that information. This would never be the case for a proposed rule by the FDA (there'd be tons of dialog w/ pharma/insurers), the FAA (dialog with airlines), the FCC (dialog with broadcasters, cable companies)... But yet for some reason, we're are still sitting here with zero guidance on what is likely to happen, when, in what form, etc... It's unbelievable. The implementation and form of the final rule has the ability to shutter hundreds of businesses, cost thousands of livelihoods, and kill an entire vibrantly growing sector of industry... yet radio silence from remains from all parties.

ETA: the point is we may never know why there's such a discrepancy between individual/trust but what if they're trying to clear out as many trust submissions as possible leading up to an unaltered final implementation of 41P. They/someone should at least communicate this to the industry/citizens. Makes me sick.
    Last edited by gunsubber; 05-01-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Sadly, they are not having a candid dialog with us (NFATCA) or any other organization that I am aware of. We used to have a congenial relationship with ATF. That ended with the current administration. There is no current transparency.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

ExecDirector and GunSubber,
    Thanks for your replies. However, I know the whole trust issue is in limbo, what I was talking about is the individual applications. It just seems they have put the breaks on those applications and stated processing the trust/LLC stuff exclusively. If there is some internal procedural change regarding the individual forms, I would like to know. I do all my form 1 & 4 applications as an individual and since I pay the same tax as the trusts, I think I deserve the same processing times. It is not right to make us wait 9 or 10 months when the trusts are getting back in 6 or 7.

As far as I know they are still processing individual applications. I have received several approved Form 4's for my customers... There is some procedural time savings involved in processing trust/corp versus individual (no need to validate CLEO, no FBI background check). We shall see if the "all hands on deck" plus the extra 15 new bodies will have an effect.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

Are wait times really going down though?

I purchased an M2 Carbine from Ruben Mendiola when the E-Form system was still functional (early March) and haven't heard anything as to its status. I had heard from various sources that Ruben's Form 3s had a very fast turn around time.

I was hoping to get the Form 4 in before June 1st just in case these clowns go forward with ATF41P. Might not happen at this point.