Thread: More Bodies at NFA Branch

More Bodies at NFA Branch

Way back when at the December, 2012 SAR West Show...Mr. Ed Saavedra (NFA Branch Chief) stated that NFA Branch would be getting 6 more full time, ATF employee Examiners. Many of us had doubts, but Ed stuck to his guns. I had a long talk with Ted Clutter (NFA Examiner Supervisor) yesterday and this is what I learned:

+ At the time Ed made that statement, there were 12 Examiners. It was assumed that this increase would result in 18 Examiners.
    + We were cautioned by many that the additional 6 bodies might not result in a net Examiner head count increase.
    + Prior to the on boarding of the new Examiners, ATF was able to reallocate existing contractors (about a dozen) to the role of research assistants. These contractors WILL stay in place for the foreseeable future.
    + NFA Branch has lost 3 Examiners to attrition from the time of Ed's announcement to now, resulting in an actual number of current, full time Examiners being 9.
    + As of last week, 3 new Examiners are on board and in place, bringing the head count back to 12.
    + It will take some time for the new Examiners to come up to speed and be productive.
    + It is estimated that 3 more full time Examiners will be on board in October, bringing the projected head count to 15.
    + This assumes that there is no more attrition.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

Excellent news.

Who were the three Examiners who quit?

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeConservative View Post
    Excellent news.

Who were the three Examiners who quit?
    I do not know but I have been seeing new names popping up on nfatracker.com. I have also noticed that the examiner who used to handle Texas, Sara Jones, is now handling other states.

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    Way back when at the December, 2012 SAR West Show...Mr. Ed Saavedra (NFA Branch Chief) stated that NFA Branch would be getting 6 more full time, ATF employee Examiners. Many of us had doubts, but Ed stuck to his guns. I had a long talk with Ted Clutter (NFA Examiner Supervisor) yesterday and this is what I learned:

+ At the time Ed made that statement, there were 12 Examiners. It was assumed that this increase would result in 18 Examiners.
    + We were cautioned by many that the additional 6 bodies might not result in a net Examiner head count increase.
    + Prior to the on boarding of the new Examiners, ATF was able to reallocate existing contractors (about a dozen) to the role of research assistants. These contractors WILL stay in place for the foreseeable future.
    + NFA Branch has lost 3 Examiners to attrition from the time of Ed's announcement to now, resulting in an actual number of current, full time Examiners being 9.
    + As of last week, 3 new Examiners are on board and in place, bringing the head count back to 12.
    + It will take some time for the new Examiners to come up to speed and be productive.
    + It is estimated that 3 more full time Examiners will be on board in October, bringing the projected head count to 15.
    + This assumes that there is no more attrition.
    This is great news. I know the folks at the NFA branch are good people. Every time I have called to get a status update they have always been kind and professional. I do not blame them for the backlog. I think they really want to get the forms out as fast as possible. They need double if not triple the workforce. I have been writing my Senators to get them to allow the NFA Branch to get the tax revenue and direct it towards more examiners and other things they need.

My last stamp took over six months; it would be nice if they could get that down to thirty days.

mbogo

Mbogo,
    I want a Glock 18C, HK MP5 and a M16.

Isn't it fun to dream about things that will never be? :-)
    Last edited by jason8844; 09-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason8844 View Post
    Mbogo,
    I want a Glock 18C, HK MP5 and a M16.

Isn't it fun to dream about things that will never be? :-)
    That will soon be illegal too.