Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trust Changes Ahead...

Well according to the proposed Rule Making issued by Eric Holder yesterday, it sure looks like NFATCA screwed NFA owners pretty bad (The Rule Making Doc states NFATCA petitioned for the changes). CLEO certification required for all legal entities, prints/photos for all responsible persons, etc.

This is going to reduce a lot of NFA sales and probably put a lot of small NFA MFGs out of business.

I am really in shock right now by what I read. This is awful.

That's one take. We started the petition to get the discussion started. They chose to not include us in the discussion. Yes, it makes us look bad. We knew that they were concerned about trusts and corps and suggested a mechanism for principals of those entities. They chose to expand it to all responsible persons and then ignore the CLEO elimination. We are investigating our options right now.

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

I think the worst part is it is very tough to derail a Rule Change. These things are almost always done deals. Comment periods are usually just formalities.

Not necessarily. We are exploring legal expedients. It sucks that ATF yanked the rug out without even talking to us.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

So from reading some of the backround information to the proposed rule cchange here: https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...r-firearms.pdf

To me it seems like the ATF is not going to request the removal of the CLEO signature, they are only going to have the language of it modified to remove this from the CLEO statement "I have no information indicating that the ... will use the firearm or device described.... for other than lawful purposes"

The ATF is thinking that is why most CLEO will not sign off. However reality is CLEO mostly refuse to sign for political reasons or personal reasons.

Futhermore that document says that NFATCA is the one that requested the re-evaluation of those using Trust and Corporations.
    Last edited by Shermanator; 08-30-2013 at 09:32 PM.

The last statement is a bending of the truth. We will have an official statement coming out soon. Suffice to say, the Executive Branch appears to have derailed the CLEO signature process.

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Could you post a the petition that was filed by NFATCA to the ATF?

If you deal with the Devil, you're going to get burned. I don't understand why that concept is lost on some people.

Amen brother. Do not think this was an oversight. Now is the time to talk to your Reps and Senators.

We also need to take the battle to the states. I believe in Alaska that Sheriffs are required by law to sign NFA forms if the applicant is not a prohibited person.

Here is a link to another story about this...
    http://www.examiner.com/article/nfa-...st-rule-change

I do not blame the NFATCA for this. They petitioned in good faith a proposed trade-off. This is like most compromises in Washington these days. Compromise is defined by Conservatives giving up everything and Liberals getting everything they wanted. Either way, we always get shafted.

I predict two things as this becomes closer to reality...

1. A huge rush on NFA items in the short term creating an even bigger backlog.
    2. The creation of many non-registered, illegal NFA weapons in the long term.

Both are undesired.
    Last edited by jason8844; 08-31-2013 at 01:39 AM.