Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: form 4 in problem status

form 4 in problem status

Ohhhh about 7 months ago I purchased a SBR off of an individual same state as me .
    I finally called the branch today to make sure it wasn't in problem status
    Turns out it is .
    My first problem status form .

The individual I purchased it from did a F1 on the Coharie firearm to "make" it an SBR.
    It went into problem status because the examiner said the *john Doe* ( guy I bought it from ) is NOT the manufacturer , but that Coharie is even tho he ( guy I bought it from ) did form 1 on it * becoming* the maker , engraved his name & info on it as per regs....
    Can someone shine some light on this for me ???
    Doesn't make sense to me

Exactly who did you speak with? Are you sure it was an examiner?

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director
    www.nfatca.org

The guy I purchased it from did talk to the examiner.
    He "works" for an SOT .

According to the person I spoke with "if you are converting an existing firearm, enter the name of the original manufacturer"... You are the listed manufacturer when you make it from scratch.

So you were told correctly by ATF...

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

Have the guy you bought it from put on a barrel extension and take it off the registry. Sell it to you as a title 1 firearm, then you can SBR it yourself.
    Richard Hoffman
    Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms/ Uzi HQ
    Longwood, FL
    407-592-3975
    richard@bwefirearms.com
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.uziparts.com

Quote Originally Posted by ExecDirector View Post
    According to the person I spoke with "if you are converting an existing firearm, enter the name of the original manufacturer"... You are the listed manufacturer when you make it from scratch.

So you were told correctly by ATF...
    That is for a FORM 1 I believe the OP is talking about a FORM 4?? there is no converting or manufacturing with a FORM 4.

Just to be clear... Do not try to "change" this on a Form 4 because it will look like you are trying to transfer an item that was never registered!

Jeff Folloder

www.nfatca.org

It reads to me that when the form 4 for the transfer was filled out, instead of listing Coharie in box 4a, "John Doe" was used instead; however BATFE is wanting box 4a on the F4 to match box 4a on the original Form 1.

Okay I think this is what the issue is.
    Assumption SBR, DPMS, Form I by Homer Simpson

When someone manufactures or makes an NFA firearm using a Form 1 they will put the following in these two sextions.

Box 3.a. Homer Simpson, Springfield IL, 12345
    Box 4.a. DPMS, DPMS ADDRESS.

When Homer Simpson goes to transfer it to Ned Flanders, the following is entered for the Form 4.
    Box 4.a. DPMS, DPMS ADDRESS

So even though the SBR was really manufactured by Homer Simpson, when it transfers you put DPMS?
    I think the NFA BRANCH would be making a mistake, instead the following is what should be put on the Form 4?
    Box 4.a. Homer Simpson, Springfield IL, 12345
    Box 4.h. DPMS, DPMS ADDRESS

Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    It reads to me that when the form 4 for the transfer was filled out, instead of listing Coharie in box 4a, "John Doe" was used instead; however BATFE is wanting box 4a on the F4 to match box 4a on the original Form 1.
    This is how I understand it as well .
    The examiner is sending it back to "john Doe" to have it changed per her request to Coharie.
    At least that's how I understand it
    I just want a piece of paper that says "approved" with a stamp attached to it .....